Laparoscopy is a surgical procedure useful for the diagnosis and treatment of infertility, endometriosis, fibroids, blocked fallopian tubes, ovarian cyst and pelvic pain. This operation allows a direct view of the uterus, tubes, ovaries, other organs and the pelvic cavity in general. Our Virginia fertility specialist received years of training in laparoscopic surgery. Tubal reversal surgery can also be performed laparoscopically. Laparoscopy also called as minimally invasive surgery is a modern surgical technique in which operations in the abdomen are performed through small incisions (usually 0.5 – 1.5 cm) as opposed to the larger incisions needed in laprotomy.
Advantages of laparoscopy
- Shorter hospital stay
- Better cosmosis
- Less postoperative pain and morbidity
- Less tissue handling and fever opportunities for foreign body contamination such as lint and suture
- Decreased postoperative adhesion formation
Indications of Diagnostic laparoscopyDiagnostic Laparoscopy is an important tool in evaluation of the patient presenting with acute or chronic pelvic pain.
- Ectopic pregnancy
- Pelvic inflammatory disease
- Adnexal Torsion can be diagnosed in a timely manner
- Laparoscopy also permits evaluation of tubal and peritoneal factors in the infertile patient
The advantages of the laparoscopic approach
- Laparoscopy involves small incisions with far less postoperative discomfort and a rapid recovery time
- Less adhesion formation
- Markedly reduced hospital stay. Many procedures are easily performed as an outpatient and are cost effective
Procedures routinely performed via operative laparoscopy include :
- Removal of scar tissue around the tubes and ovaries (salpingolysis and/or ovariolysis) and opening blocked tubes (tuboplasty).
- Removal of ovarian cysts and endometriomas with reconstruction of the ovary to a fully functional state.
- Removal of endometriosis including advanced stage three and four disease involving both bowel and the urinary system. This is often done employing a multidisciplinary approach with a bowel surgeon and through urologist in attendance.
- Removal of uterine fibroids (even those involving the uterine cavity) with uterine reconstruction to a fully functional state.
- Removal of ectopic pregnancies with conservation of the fallopian tube where indicated.
- Tubal reanastamosis after tubal ligation (sterilization).
- Complete hysterectomy performed laparoscopically.
Laparoscopy at IFC
At International Fertility Centre various gynecologic conditions can be treated with laparoscopic Surgery. Laparoscopic surgery or Minimally Invasive Gynecological Surgery is used to treat uterine fibroids, heavy or abnormal menstrual bleeding, ovarian cysts/benign tumors, structural abnormalities of the uterus/vagina, endometriosis, ectopic pregnancy etc.
The team at IFC for Laparoscopic surgery is led by Dr. Rita Bakshi, who specializes in laparoscopic hysterectomies. She along with her team provides a full range of surgical treatments for patients, including laparoscopic procedures.
If you are facing any gynecological problems, then you should schedule a consultation with us. Please leave a message below or call us at +91 – 95555 44421 / 22 / 23 so that we can help you.