A notable advancement in the field of cellular and molecular biology has resulted in significant benefit in fertility treatments. Cryopreservation method is considered to be one of such noble advancement which has initiated significant benefits for preserving a wide range of biological materials for making assisted reproduction successful worldwide.
What is Cryopreservation?
Cryo comes from the greek word kryos which means ‘’ice-cold’’ or ‘’frozen’’ whereas preservation means storage. Thus, cryopreservation is the method of storing cells, organs or tissues commonly at extreme low temperature that ranges between -196 °C/-321 °F in the presence of liquid nitrogen. Usually under such low temperatures, all the biological activities of the cells stops causing death of cells but Cryopreservation makes it possible for the cells to survive the extreme freezing and thawing.
Why it is done?
Cryopreservation in RISAA IVF follows a typical preservation protocol aiming at preserving wide range of biological materials including your cells, ova, sperms, tissues, ovarian tissues, pre-implantation embryos, organs without affecting the cell’s viability.
Dry Ice and liquid nitrogen are generally used in this method.
In RISAA IVF, generally three types of cryopreservation techniques are followed:
1. Cryopreservation of Embryos (Embryo Cryopreservation)
- In RISAA IVF the process begins with administration of specialized medication to the patient enabling her to release multiple eggs
- The eggs are then taken out and fertilized in the lab for retrieval.
- Then the eggs are allowed to fertilize with the partner’s sperms that result in the formation of embryo.
- Fertilized eggs or embryos are subjected to rapid freezing under liquid nitrogen at subzero temperatures, three to five days after fertilization.
- These embryos can be cryopreserved and used for future purpose depending upon your aspiration of becoming parents.
- This process has made it possible for you to get an additional transfer of embryo in future, without spending on another IVF cycle.
2. Oocyte Cryopreservation
Oocyte Cryopreservation has made a significant advancement in the field of assisted reproduction by enabling a woman to save her eggs, undergoing medical treatment or planning to become parent after few years. It means with the help of Oocyte Cryopreservation you can choose to preserve the remaining harvested eggs for future use as per your convenient to become parent.
- Oocyte Cryopreservation is a vitrification or rapid freezing method that follows two consecutive paths:
- i. Slow freezing– In this method, oocyte cooling is done over a period of 2 to 4 hours after which the specimen is placed into liquid nitrogen at minus 196-degree celsius.
- ii. Rapid freezing – Here, sterile samples are directly immersed into liquid nitrogen within eight to ten minutes.
- Cryoprotectants are used in this cooling process.
- In RISAA IVF your Oocyte Cryopreservation procedure will be done under sedation. It will be a complete surgical process.
- Usually, around 15 eggs per cycle are retrieved from each patient by inserting needle inside your vagina to remove the eggs from the follicles.
3. Cryopreservation of Sperm
Cryopreservation of Sperm has made it possible for several men to preserve their fertility who are likely to undergo treatments like cancer therapy, prostate or testicular surgery that can induce infertility due to the exposure to certain hazardous chemicals and radiations being used in the same.
This procedure is also used in sperm banking that ensures the chances of conception in future.
- To begin with the method, RISAA IVF center collects your semen sample in a sterile dish to analyze its volume, viscosity, sperm motility, sperm count, and other factors followed by mixing the same with a solution, which provides protection during freezing and thawing.
- After which it will be transferred to plastic vials for freezing under liquid nitrogen.
- Cryopreservation of Sperm is a rapid freezing method that follows two consecutive paths:
- Slow freezing– In this method, sperm cooling is done over a period of 2 to 4 hours after which the specimen is placed into liquid nitrogen at minus 196-degree celsius.
- Rapid freezing – Here, sterile samples are directly immersed into liquid nitrogen within eight to ten minutes.
- The sperm obtained after this method can also be deposited, froze and stored in cryobanks for less than a year.
- These sperms can also be used for certain infertility treatment procedures in your future.
What are the benefits of Cryopreservation?
There are several benefits of cryopreservation technique which includes:
- It enables you to deposit, store and utilize your gametes (ova /sperm) as per your desire to become parent.
- It reduces space and labour associated with multiple embryo transfer using natural cycles.
- It ensures safety from genetic contamination and retains genetic integrity of valuable stains.
- Biological samples like cells, ova, sperms, tissues, ovarian tissues, pre-implantation embryos, organs can be preserved for a longer period of without affecting their viability.
- It ensures absolute protection of the samples from disease and microbial contamination.
Why Choose RISAA IVF Center for Cryopreservation?
RISAA IVF Center, New Delhi is one of the old and renowned names in the field of assisted reproduction technology ART. We value your dreams of becoming biological parents undergoing infertility treatment.
At RISAA IVF Center a team of highly qualified doctors trained in using the best-in-class technology are ready to assist you in your journey of pregnancy through assisted reproductive technology and ensure that you have seamless stepping stones onto parenthood.