Laparoscopy is a process by which a surgeon is able to look inside the reproductive organs like fallopian tubes, ovaries and uterus. This is a dual purpose medical procedure as it assists in diagnosing and treating the reproductive complications.
Top Five advantages of laparoscopy
- Less adhesion formation: A small incision is made in laparoscopy hence small scar, i.e. adhesion is formed which is quickly recovered.
- Cost Effective: Laparoscopy is a surgical procedure in which small cut is made, takes less time and stay in hospital is reduced. That’s why it is economical and cost effective if compared to other surgeries.
- Consume less time: This procedure takes very less time, therefore patients are discharged from hospital very soon.
- Less Postoperative pain: Most of the surgeries if performed, intense painis during operation and after operation. But in laparoscopy, due to smaller cut there is less postoperative pain.
- Stay in hospital is shorter: Stay at the hospital is curtailed, as minor surgery is performed.
Laparoscopy is performed in following medical conditions at International Fertility Centre
Ectopic Pregnancy: Pregnancy is a series of various steps which involves fertilization to delivery. In normal pregnancy a fertilized egg travels to the uterus to affix itself. But in the case of an ectopic pregnancy, the fertilized egg doesn’t attach, to the uterus. Instead, it may attach to the fallopian tube, abdominal cavity or cervix.
Ectopic pregnancy is caused due to
- Inflammation or scarring of the fallopian tubes from a previous medical condition, infection or surgery.
- Hormonal factors
- Genetic abnormalities
- Birth defects
- Some medical problems that affect the shape and condition of the fallopian tubes and reproductive organs.
This medical condition can be screened through the help of laparoscopy and treatment can be provided further by the doctors at IFC.
Endometriosis: This is a reproductive disorder in which the endometrium, grows outside the uteruscharacterized by painful menstrual cycle, and pain during bowel movement. It involves mostly ovaries, fallopian tubes and the tissue which lines the pelvis. The outgrowth of endometrial lining can be determined by laparoscopy.